Online dating has revolutionized matchmaking and is a fantastic option available to us today. If we end up single, especially later in life, online dating has lots of advantages for solving the problem of meeting prospective partners.
I was nervous, excited and terrified about the prospects of re-entering the dating pool. I had not been on a date for close to 25 years when I began to wet my toes and check out how online dating worked. I am happy to say I successfully found true love in cyberspace. It took patience and perseverance, but it worked well for me.
I signed up for a couple of different services, one at a time, and figured out how they worked. I made contact with a variety of potential partners, met and dated some of them, and eventually met my Prince Charming. We will be celebrating 10 years together this coming spring!
I highly recommend trying online dating – What have you got to lose?
Here are my top 12 advantages of online dating:
- You get to meet people that you would never normally see as they travel in totally different circles than you do. This can be fun and you can learn a lot of new things.
- You get to specify exactly what you are looking for in a partner with criteria like distance and age. This immediately narrows down the prospects to fewer people which hopefully are much more likely possibilities.
- You can use a service that will help you find your most compatible matches that you will be more comfortable with. This service, if done well, can help you avoid many mismatched and awkward dates.
- Browsing people’s profiles online is fun. It is kind of like getting the wish list catalogue and pouring over the possibilities.
- Screening the profiles is an easy way to filter potential partners before you meet with anyone online or in person. If you don’t like the way they look, write, or what they post, you don’t need to spend further time on them.
- Communicating with people online for a bit was helpful as it further narrowed down my dating choices. Those that forgot my real name or could not remember details were obviously talking to too many others and I was not interested. Recently separated people that, after inquiry, had only been separated 5 days, were also crossed off my list. There are lots of ways to narrow your choices down. If in doubt, cross it out.
- Once you’re on a ‘real’ name basis, check them out with search engines and in social media – Google, LinkedIn and Facebook can give you a lot of information if you look for it.
- When you are ready to meet someone in person, there is not a lot of investment if you are not interested after your first meeting. I found chemistry was either there or not in person, so it was always an easy decision to have a second date or not. Interestingly, it was usually a mutual decision.
- You can meet some interesting people and get to know yourself better as well. As you become more comfortable dating and more secure in what you want and don’t want, you become more confident in your decisions.
- Going out on dates is always an adventure and it can help you accumulate some amazing and unbelievable stories to entertain your friends.
- You can take as much time as you want and keep high standards. There is no rush!
- You can actually find the perfect partner and spend the rest of your life together! Now that is a really nice advantage! I know I never would have met my partner any other way!
I found dating online was a great way to meet many possible partners fairly easily and it was not too expensive. I never felt stuck or pressured because I always had more options I could review and I could pause the entire process whenever I wanted to. I had fun and enjoyed spending time in the process.
I was always careful, stayed safe and listened to my heart, my gut and my head. When I saw red flags, I learned to move on quickly.
I remained authentic and comfortable and I when I found my one and only we immediately had an interesting story on how we met!
Remember you only need to find the one right one!
I have also written about the process I used for online dating. I used a strategy and it worked well for me. Find the two posts about it here:
Having trouble managing your separation and divorce? Want to talk about getting back into the dating scene? I can help.
Please contact me.
I do offer a strategy session.
The Divorce Coach in Dundas
Image © rudall30 / depositphotos